As a key member of our production team, the Production Supervisor is responsible for coordination and production of orders through production in the Gillett facility. The incumbent will maintain employee relations, morale, and competitive work attitude, implement new processes, procedures flows, and layouts as provided by the Plant Manager. This position is also responsible to maintain and control levels of staffing to ensuring proper utilization of personnel.
- Responsible and accountable for the following: a. Adhere to all associated duties, responsibilities & procedures according to quality system guidelines; b. Perform annual internal audits per published schedule; c. Initiate action & resolve corrective actions to continually improve the effectiveness of the quality system & company processes.
- Assist in the implementation of LEAN principles.
- Ensure that all documented work instructions are followed and have been implemented as they apply to our quality processes.
- Maintain employee relations and motivation to provide proper utilization of personnel and productivity, along with high product quality and low rework and scrap.
- Schedule and plan personnel requirements relating to sales orders and delivery requirements in order to maximize throughput and quality and minimize cost
- Provide assistance where necessary in matters concerning labor, environmental and quality controls.
- In conjunction with the Plant Manager, determine required hours of labor, provide plans for production and manufacturing, including personnel levels, small tool requirements and support material requirements and costs, procedures required and changes in procedures, methods and flows to reduce costs, along with related costs.
- Communicate the hours, procedures and material requirements in order to control costs and meet the goals of the company in operating profitably.
- Assist in providing information where necessary on purchase of capital budget items on new equipment in conjunction with the Plant Manager.
- From budgets, maintain control of all operations and personnel, as well as materials used in manufacturing, rework and scrap.
- Provide Human Resources and/or Plant Manager with pertinent information relative to labor to help deal with employee dealings.
- Responsible for the work force and their daily activities in meeting the schedule for delivery of manufactured parts while meeting the standards of labor hours and materials used; responsible for all production activities within the plant.
- Review the daily schedule the day prior to establish the labor required in each area for the following day.
- Review and witness the punctuality and scanning in of employees to ensure the work force required is in place, and that the employees are providing a full day’s work for the wage level they are provided.
- Check and review daily plant housekeeping each morning and each evening before lock-up to avoid contamination and provide a safe work place with all hazards removed.
- Ensure all doors are closed wherever possible and as soon as possible when parts and molds or supplies are brought in and out to avoid dust and airflow contaminations causing rework or scrap. Ensure all doors and gates are checked upon start-up and that they are locked at night.
- Monitor the labor and hours taken in manufacture together with the materials consumed by weighing parts after manufacture, and by watching and monitoring the work force performing their tasks. Take corrective actions items do not meet the standard.
- Review procedures with experienced manufacturing personnel and look for new and more efficient methods of manufacture while meeting the quality standards set.
- Communicate changes to be implemented through the Plant Manager to the Director of Quality Assurance for revision of the procedures and processes set in the communication and distribute change notices to all concerned.
- Control the flow of materials to the floor, and the use of materials and supplies to ensure no waste or theft of materials and supplies occurs. Follow corrective/disciplinary action as required.
- Monitor all hours and keep records of personnel’s hours worked both regular time or overtime; monitor time taken in breaks and at starting and quitting time to ensure that company policies for working hours and breaks are adhered to.
- Ensure all safety policies are being followed.
- Participate in the RTW process; work closely with the HR Manager and/or HSE dept. to determine the list of duties an injured worker would be capable of doing and assist in monitoring their progress.
- High school diploma or GED
- 3 years of supervisory experience or working experience in related role;
- Well developed time management skills to balance multiple priorities in a demanding manufacturing environment;
- Well developed interpersonal skills to interact with all levels within the organization;
- Strong knowledge of MS Office products;
- Lean manufacturing experience is an asset.
As part of the NFI Group (TSX: NFI www.nfigroup.com) Carfair Composites supplies quality fiberglass components to original equipment manufacturers and to our sister companies operating under the brands: New Flyer® (heavy-duty transit buses), ARBOC® (low-floor cutaway and medium-duty buses) and MCI® (motor coaches) in Canada and the United States. We are a leader in fiber-reinforced plastic design and composites technology with dedicated team members located in facilities in Winnipeg, MB (Canada), St. Cloud, MN (USA), Anniston, AL (USA), Wausaukee and Gillett, WI (USA).
Part of our mission as a leader in the Fiber Glass Plastics Industry is to provide uncompromised quality and customer satisfaction within a culture of continuous improvement and a safe working environment where employees have the tools to generate value for the mutual benefit of both internal and external customers.
Come and join our team!