Reporting to the Manager of Health, Safety & Environment (HSE), this position coordinates HSE systems and programs to reduce the risk of injuries or losses and to maintain regulatory compliance. This position implements HSE management systems or programs, so that activities are effectively managed, continuously improved and aligned with regulations and Carfair operations. The HSE Coordinator provides specialized technical assistance where required.
- Continuously improve Safety performance and Safety policies, procedures, guidelines, programs and management systems.
- Provide technical support and regulatory interpretation on Safety matters.
- Consult and advise internal key stakeholders of Safety policies, management systems, and risks that may require management attention and action.
- Develop the Safety training plan and programs and provide training to employees at all levels of the organization.
- Facilitate and conduct Safety audits and inspections to provide assurance that management systems are in place and the facility is in compliance with all laws, regulations, and company policies.
- Promote Safety awareness, trust and commitment by building on existing culture and program strengths. Connect with the workforce to communicate the importance of Safety and to positively influence compliance with Safety objectives.
- Support on the job Safety meetings by providing assistance, direction and resource materials as needed, to enhance overall effectiveness and impact.
- Conduct and facilitate (as needed) the root cause analyses of reported incidents and near misses and work with management in the identification, application, and monitoring of countermeasures to mitigate against future injury or loss.
- Notify management of violations of Safety regulations or company policies, make recommendations for correction, and follow-up with managers to ensure successful resolution of outstanding issues.
- Track the completion of Safety corrective actions.
- Coordinate and participate in safety committee meetings.
- Coordinate and monitor Job Hazard Analysis and Safe Work Practices.
- Maintain records and documentation required by Federal, State and Municipal regulations.
- Up to 25% travel and occasional shift-work may be required.
Critical Leadership & Professional Capabilities:
- Experience as a trainer
- Experience in impacting change without direct authority.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, in writing, presentations, etc.).
- Proven ability to lead multi-functional teams.
- Proven ability to successfully lead change efforts.
- Ability to effectively communicate diverse Safety issues to a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively and diplomatically with regulatory agencies and company personnel at all levels of management with demonstrated leadership.
- Bachelor degree in a related discipline (prefer Engineering, Science, or Industrial Hygiene) with a minimum of 1 year experience in a safety critical operations leadership or safety specific role; or
- Associate degree in safety-related discipline with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a safety critical operations leadership or safety specific role.
- CSP designation is an asset.
- Working knowledge of OSHA, DOT, EPA, and WSI.
As part of the NFI Group (TSX: NFI www.nfigroup.com) Carfair Composites supplies quality fiberglass components to original equipment manufacturers and to our sister companies operating under the brands: New Flyer® (heavy-duty transit buses), ARBOC® (low-floor cutaway and medium-duty buses) and MCI® (motor coaches) in Canada and the United States. We are a leader in fiber-reinforced plastic design and composites technology with dedicated team members located in facilities in Winnipeg, MB (Canada), St. Cloud, MN (USA), Anniston, AL (USA), Wausaukee and Gillett, WI (USA).
Part of our mission as a leader in the Fiber Glass Plastics Industry is to provide uncompromised quality and customer satisfaction within a culture of continuous improvement and a safe working environment where employees have the tools to generate value for the mutual benefit of both internal and external customers.
Come and join our team!